Symptoms of Atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis symptoms depend on what vessels are affected by the disease:
- When coronary atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are determined by coronary insufficiency and the coronary heart disease progression:
- Angina (chest pain);
- Shortness of breath;
- Heart rhythm disturbance (arrhythmia);
- Swelling of the lower limbs.
- When cerebral atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are:
- One of the first signs is memory impairment (particularly connected with the recent events);
- Emotional instability, buzzing in the ears, feeling of pulsation, headache, hearing and vision impairment, dizziness;
- Cerebral atherosclerosis is also manifested in the impairment of mental capacity, loss of intelligence, retarded thinking, and personality change.
- When lower extremity atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are:
- The first sign is the pain in the calf muscles appearing during walking (intermittent claudication);
- Feeling of cold and chilliness in legs, numbness of feet;
- Spasms, pale legs, toes become bluish.
- When atherosclerosis of aorta is detected, then the symptoms include:
- Pressing or burning sternal pain may appear, it spreads into both arms, neck, back and the upper abdomen. But by contrast with angina these pains may last for a long time growing stronger or weaker. Note: Quite often severe forms of atherosclerosis of aorta may progress without any signs; therefore, it can be detected only during examination;
- When mesenteric artery atherosclerosis is diagnosed, then the following signs may be experienced:
- Severe abdominal pain, usually it appears after eating and lasts for 2-3 hours;
- Bloating, belching;
- Irregular bowel movements, constipation alternates with diarrhea;
- Skin becomes slack, nails – fragile, hair – dull.
- When renal artery atherosclerosis is diagnosed, a severe arterial hypertension appears.
Next chapter: Tests and Diagnosis of Atherosclerosis
A mini-stroke is a temporary disruption in blood flow to the brain, spinal cord or retina that doesn ...
Blood is a body fluid composed of cells, proteins and substances that aid clotting. As with other th ...
Every 34 seconds someone has a cardiovascular event, and every minute 1 American dies of one. Every ...
Hyperlipidemia, or abnormal high levels of cholesterol in the blood, is a common problem, which can ...