Symptoms of Atherosclerosis
Atherosclerosis symptoms depend on what vessels are affected by the disease:
- When coronary atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are determined by coronary insufficiency and the coronary heart disease progression:
- Angina (chest pain);
- Shortness of breath;
- Heart rhythm disturbance (arrhythmia);
- Swelling of the lower limbs.
- When cerebral atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are:
- One of the first signs is memory impairment (particularly connected with the recent events);
- Emotional instability, buzzing in the ears, feeling of pulsation, headache, hearing and vision impairment, dizziness;
- Cerebral atherosclerosis is also manifested in the impairment of mental capacity, loss of intelligence, retarded thinking, and personality change.
- When lower extremity atherosclerosis is diagnosed, the symptoms are:
- The first sign is the pain in the calf muscles appearing during walking (intermittent claudication);
- Feeling of cold and chilliness in legs, numbness of feet;
- Spasms, pale legs, toes become bluish.
- When atherosclerosis of aorta is detected, then the symptoms include:
- Pressing or burning sternal pain may appear, it spreads into both arms, neck, back and the upper abdomen. But by contrast with angina these pains may last for a long time growing stronger or weaker. Note: Quite often severe forms of atherosclerosis of aorta may progress without any signs; therefore, it can be detected only during examination;
- When mesenteric artery atherosclerosis is diagnosed, then the following signs may be experienced:
- Severe abdominal pain, usually it appears after eating and lasts for 2-3 hours;
- Bloating, belching;
- Irregular bowel movements, constipation alternates with diarrhea;
- Skin becomes slack, nails – fragile, hair – dull.
- When renal artery atherosclerosis is diagnosed, a severe arterial hypertension appears.
Next chapter: Tests and Diagnosis of Atherosclerosis
Heart disease and depression are both very serious and common conditions. They affect millions of pe ...
Mountains have always been associated with the idea of strength, beauty and magnificence. Many ...
Everyone knows how good morning exercises are for our body and health, but we know very little about ...
Sex is an important part of most couple’s relationship and life. Therefore, it is not surprising t ...