Cardiovascular diseases, or CVDs, are a group of blood vessel and heart disorders that can be divided into the following groups:
- Ischemic heart disease – affects blood vessels that supply the heart muscle with blood;
- Cerebrovascular disease – problems with blood vessels that supply the brain with blood;
- Peripheral arterial disease – affects blood vessels bringing blood to the limbs;
- Rheumatic carditis – the heart muscle and heart valves are damaged from an acute attack of rheumatic fever caused by streptococcus bacteria;
- Inflammatory cardiovascular diseases – inflammations of the heart muscle, tissues or the surrounding structures;
- Congenital heart defects – inborn heart structure malformations;
- Pulmonary embolism from deep venous thrombosis – the condition involves the formation of blood clots in deep veins that can travel to the lungs and heart.
The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that cardiovascular disease was responsible for approximately 31% of all deaths in the world in 2008. ( 9.4 million deaths (16.5%) were caused by hypertension, and this number includes 51% of deaths from strokes and 45% from coronary heart disease)
Diagram: Causes of death statistics
In the USA, cardiovascular diseases rank first among all the causes of death, and every year heart disorders take the lives of about 1 million Americans. In 2009, CVD was the cause of every third death. People die from these conditions more often than from cancer and AIDS combined. About every 35 seconds, one of the 80 million Americans suffering from a heart problem dies.
Cardiovascular diseases is the scourge of the modern world; they are the main cause of disability and early deaths all over the world. At the heart of this pathology is atherosclerosis which develops over the years and usually becomes very serious by the middle age. The problem is particularly urgent in third world countries.
While cardiovascular disease is largely a silent killer, it can be diagnosed and successfully treated in its early stages.
Take care of your heart – provide it with timely treatment!
And CardioGod will help you find all necessary information about your heart.